DIY bilingual picture books

Shoutbox

What's on your mind right now? Just type and hit "Enter" to share it here!
Adam Beck: Mayken, I don't know, but I wish I could say it's because I'm taller! My son (almost 12) is now nearly as tall as I am. Just yesterday I told him that I have to start growing again! :P Feb 1, 2019 10:12:14 GMT 9
Adam Beck: NEW! I Was the Best Man at a Bilingual Wedding in Beijing, China (Plus a Special Giveaway of Golden Coins for Chinese New Year!) bilingualmonkeys.com/i-was-the-best-man-at-a-bilingual-wedding-in-beijing-china/ Feb 5, 2019 20:34:47 GMT 9
Mayken: , thanks for sharing the impressions of your trip to China! I love those duck boats and that doorway! And meeting those kids wanting to speak English with you is so amazing!(I won't enter the giveaway because I'm afraid of winning the chicken claws!) Feb 6, 2019 0:24:50 GMT 9
Mayken: My friend S asked her bilingual 2.5-year-old daughter: What language do mommy & daddy speak? D: English! S: What language does Grandma speak? D: French! S: What language do the cats speak? D (*thinks, then answers*): Meow! Feb 7, 2019 0:08:00 GMT 9
Amy: Bless!! how cute is that!!! Reminds me of a similar thing that happened with my youngest when she was 18 months: she said the sound right for every animal but the cow. She kept answering "Lola" because of a famous Spanish nursery rhyme about a cow! :D Feb 7, 2019 0:40:09 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: NEW! I Was the Best Man at a Bilingual Wedding in Beijing, China (Plus a Special Giveaway of Golden Coins for Chinese New Year!) bilingualmonkeys.com/i-was-the-best-man-at-a-bilingual-wedding-in-beijing-china/ Feb 7, 2019 12:41:10 GMT 9
Alba: My son caught us by surprise when we said thank you (in English) to a waiter in a Mexican restaurant, and he said "gracias" (thank you) to him too in Spanish, also signing it! He was having a blast and there was some Spanish music in the background. :) Feb 10, 2019 18:48:58 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Sounds like a wonderful moment, Alba! :D Feb 11, 2019 11:57:53 GMT 9
Adam Beck: 13 Things You Should Definitely NOT Say to Your Bilingual Kids to Get Them Speaking Your Language bilingualmonkeys.com/13-things-you-should-definitely-not-say-to-your-bilingual-kids/ Feb 14, 2019 13:00:50 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: UPDATE: Good news! My kids have officially passed their first proficiency test in English, our minority language! Many thanks to you all for cheering them on! See: bilingualmonkeys.com/my-bilingual-kids-are-tested-in-their-minority-language-ability/ Feb 28, 2019 14:56:36 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: NEW! Make the Most of the “Golden Years” of Your Minority Language Influence bilingualmonkeys.com/make-the-most-of-the-golden-years-of-your-minority-language-influence/ Mar 25, 2019 11:19:05 GMT 9
Mayken: Here's an old post about my bilingual family on the blog of the now-defunct Bilingual Bookshop. :| thebilingualbookshop.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/introducing-the-sandammeer-family/ (It's from 2014, and we didn't use our real names. Mar 29, 2019 6:33:09 GMT 9
Adam Beck: You and "Flora" have come a long way since that post, Mayken! Kudos to you both for all the happy success you've achieved to date! :) Mar 29, 2019 10:46:13 GMT 9
Alba: Thanks for sharing, Mayken! :) Apr 4, 2019 0:40:52 GMT 9
Alba: Streaming problems: I decided to play some cartoons in ml2 (Hindi) which I knew had been playing in ml2 the day before with his dad. I was studying my son's face to see if he understood, turns out the cartoon was in Polish, not sure why! Apr 4, 2019 0:44:39 GMT 9 *
Amy: Cute code switching this morning when my 3 year old told me "I get my pótamo" (she meant her hippo soft toy). This mixing was music to my ears... It means she is truly growing trilingual. :) Apr 6, 2019 2:51:35 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Lovely, Amy! Good for you, and good for her! :) P.S. I like hippos. Apr 7, 2019 10:32:37 GMT 9
Alba: So funny, Amy! Great to hear :) I love the word Hypo, every child says it different! My son did something similar when he say "This tocotó", he calls horses "tocotó" based on the noise they made when trotting (tocotó, iiii (neigh)-ok, for a Spanish ear) :D Apr 8, 2019 6:52:09 GMT 9
Amy: Cheer and ! :). I love these "baby" words. They are so cute. I like the "This tocotó" another example of state of the art Spanglish ;) <3 Apr 9, 2019 4:54:05 GMT 9
Adam Beck: NEW! “Bilingual Earth”: An Exciting New Book Project (And I invite you to be part of it!)
bilingualmonkeys.com/bilingual-earth-an-exciting-new-book-project/
Apr 9, 2019 11:11:26 GMT 9