Trying Bilingual in Chicago

Shoutbox

What's on your mind right now? Just type and hit "Enter" to share it here!
Amy: Happy birthday to your 2 bilingual monkeys and ! :) Jun 30, 2018 5:15:05 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Mayken, that's true, but in our case, the U.S. didn't make it to the World Cup this time! Japan has gone through, but they'll probably get knocked out very soon... Jun 30, 2018 7:22:16 GMT 9
Adam Beck: Wojtek, Poland won! I was disappointed, though, to see Japan hold the ball at the end of the game because they only wanted to go through to the next round. I understand why they did that but I wish they had played harder... Jun 30, 2018 7:24:42 GMT 9
Wojtek: Well, it suited both teams to slow down the ball. However, it was really unexpected and peculiar :) Jul 1, 2018 1:16:27 GMT 9
Mayken: On the train from Cologne to my hometown, I saw a boy about 9/10 and his older sister. She was fluent in German but spoke French with a slight accent, he spoke only French. They were visiting their grandparents. I was intrigued but didn't ask. Jul 1, 2018 22:06:55 GMT 9
Wojtek: Does anyone know an online English speech language therapist? I thought that it could be a good idea to get my girl evaluated in her ml... Jul 6, 2018 4:02:38 GMT 9 *
Mayken: Yay! My 8-year-old daughter passed her ml swim test today! After swimming & diving, the pool attendant asked her to recite the swimming/safety rules (our recent captive reading), and she knew them all! Jul 6, 2018 21:28:23 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: NEW! Bilingual Lives: Ana Cristina Gluck, Author and Publisher of Multilingual Books for Children (with a Book Giveaway!) buff.ly/2ziSQ4J Jul 7, 2018 11:28:32 GMT 9
Agnese: First words. What to expect? My son is 10 months old. He's still babbling, but I've noticed some different sounds depending on the situation. I wonder if he'll start saying his first words in the next weeks (or months, who knows?). What should I expect? Jul 11, 2018 0:30:24 GMT 9 *
Amy: Don't expect anything Agnese. :) Just let it happen, and then what he says will hit you like a train. :) It's an amazing moment. Just live it and don't overthink it. Whatever he says, in whatever language it is, it is a magical moment. ;) Jul 11, 2018 5:11:14 GMT 9 *
Agnese: I've recently found a further (annoying) challenge: when I speak ml (Italian) to my child (10m) in front of ML acquaintances, they are making jokes about what I said (mostly accent, similar unrelated words...). What do you think is the best way to act? Jul 15, 2018 13:04:11 GMT 9 *
Amy: Agnese, it is simply because they never had the opportunity to be acquainted so closely to that language. Just smile and keep going. Over time (even if this may seem long), the comments will fade. Don't show your son you are embarrassed by your ml. ;) Jul 16, 2018 3:56:41 GMT 9
Adam Beck: Agnese, I strongly second Amy's advice! Stay strong and continue speaking Italian! Jul 18, 2018 6:22:37 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: And Agnese, keep in mind that, above all, the highest priority is your bilingual aim, not the other passing concerns that are part of this experience (for us all). Don't let these distract you from the greater goal. :) Jul 18, 2018 6:24:49 GMT 9 *
Agnese: Thank you! After this setback I feel stronger than ever! The same day of the incident I ordered plenty of books in the ml on Amazon and I'm reading every day new research on bilingualism and bilingual education. I'm ready to defend my goal! Thanks Jul 19, 2018 18:37:58 GMT 9
Amy: Go Agnese, go! ;) If you want information on bilingualism, visit the website of THE bilingualism expert, François Grosjean: www.francoisgrosjean.ch/myths_en.html :) Jul 20, 2018 3:44:12 GMT 9
Agnese: Thank you for the suggestion! Jul 21, 2018 15:40:43 GMT 9
Mayken: My daughter met some inversed ML/ml kids today who live in our ml country. Their parents probably weren't thrilled they found n ML (for them) friend in their ml country. I'm sorry...a little bit. Aug 7, 2018 2:07:34 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: NEW POST AT BILINGUAL MONKEYS: Make the Most of Your Precious Time with Grandparents, Whether Near or Far bilingualmonkeys.com/make-the-most-of-your-precious-time-with-grandparents/ Aug 11, 2018 9:35:23 GMT 9
Adam Beck: ANOTHER NEW POST AT BILINGUAL MONKEYS: 5 Key Ways to Fortify Your Home Environment for Bilingual Success bilingualmonkeys.com/5-key-ways-to-fortify-your-home-for-bilingual-success/ Aug 15, 2018 16:07:10 GMT 9