Bilingualism and speech pathology myths

Shoutbox

What's on your mind right now? Just type and hit "Enter" to share it here!
Amy: Last year, a new colleague joined my team. She's trilingual in the same languages as me. It was like magic. We change languages and even code-switch several time a day. I had missed that so much!! My monolingual colleagues must think we're freaks! lol May 8, 2019 4:56:12 GMT 9
Amy: Unfortunately, she has resigned and is leaving shortly. :'( I was so proud to introduce her to my eldest, one day that I had brought her to show her round my office. And to introduce other bi/multilingual colleagues. Show how important languages are. May 8, 2019 4:58:26 GMT 9
Mayken: That must have been wonderful, ! I'm sorry she is leaving. I would love to find someone like that. We had an English intern last year who spoke German and French. We chatted a lot. May 8, 2019 6:06:01 GMT 9
Adam Beck: NEW BLOG POST! Want to Raise a Bilingual Child? Remember This: You Get What You Pay For.
bilingualmonkeys.com/you-get-what-you-pay-for/
May 9, 2019 10:03:00 GMT 9
Caro C.: Oh Amy I sort of feel related to what you are saying. Some months ago I made a friend from the US. She happens to be a neighbor with four kids. We’ve been sharing back and forth and I’d love my baby girl to eventually be able to share with her children May 13, 2019 12:55:09 GMT 9
Caro C.: Although maybe they will be a bit old for her, still we (I mean their mom = Sarah and me) both are very happy and grateful for each other as friends. May 13, 2019 12:57:05 GMT 9 *
Mayken: As of yesterday, I am aunt to a baby girl who lives in our ml country with 2 ml parents, and I'm already planning to get them a nice nursery rhymes CD for our first visit. ;) May 16, 2019 20:03:47 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Nice, Mayken! Have a happy visit! :) May 17, 2019 9:10:21 GMT 9
Caro C.: OMG I just came across this song and it filled my heart with joy and excitement...perfect for all of us who are parents: youtu.be/g1fcnhB8GOY May 19, 2019 14:01:55 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Caro, thanks for sharing that lovely song. Raffi was one of our very favorite musicians when my kids were small. We listened to him all the time. I highly recommend his albums as a source of very enjoyable and very effective English input. :) May 20, 2019 15:32:26 GMT 9
Mayken: My daughter is on a field trip this week and I feel like I've lost my main purpose ;) May 20, 2019 20:03:33 GMT 9 *
Raquel: That's cute, Mayken. I hope you enjoyed all that extra free time. May 29, 2019 18:17:39 GMT 9
Adam Beck: Big new blog post! This Key Strategy Can Empower Your Child's Bilingual Ability Throughout the Childhood Years--and Even for a Whole Lifetime bilingualmonkeys.com/this-key-strategy-can-empower-your-childs-bilingual-ability May 30, 2019 12:50:16 GMT 9
SheilaC: I am concern about our upcoming big change to Public school with all English teaching and minimal Spanish. We have been lucky until now with Spanish speaking Nanny and Spanish immersion preschool. We are doing 2-day per week with Spanish after school. May 31, 2019 10:51:49 GMT 9
Amy: @sheilac, I suggest you create an actual thread on the "Questions & Concerns" board, so fellow Zoo Keepers can help you with your concerns. 256 characters is too little to discuss something that is so important to your heart :) Jun 2, 2019 23:44:41 GMT 9
Mayken: , thanks for that very interesting and timely post - it justifies the large order for ml books and DVDs I'm about to place in view of my daughters upcoming birthday! ;) Jun 3, 2019 23:46:00 GMT 9 *
Adam Beck: Great to hear this, Mayken! And happy birthday to both yours and mine! (They have the same birthday, don't they?) :) And if anyone missed that post, here's the link once more... Jun 4, 2019 8:03:42 GMT 9
Adam Beck: This Key Strategy Can Empower Your Child's Bilingual Ability Throughout the Childhood Years--and Even for a Whole Lifetime bilingualmonkeys.com/this-key-strategy-can-empower-your-childs-bilingual-ability
Jun 4, 2019 8:04:19 GMT 9 *
Mayken: , yes, same date, six years apart! Jun 4, 2019 23:08:01 GMT 9
Adam Beck: Great Reading for Summer! Engaging Books for Language-Loving Families! :) bilingualmonkeys.com/great-reading-for-summer/ Jun 11, 2019 12:02:33 GMT 9